The UK trade body for the tourer, motorhome,
caravan holiday home and park home industries

Text Size A A A
Bookmark this site

Saturday, 22 Sep 2018

Keeping you informed

Do you operate a small sewage discharge such as a septic tank on your property?
Published on 08/08/2011

... it may need to be registered, if in England or Wales

The requirement to register small domestic sewage discharges from septic tanks and package sewage treatment plants has changed in England.
Please check No change in Wales.(NB. It does not apply to Scotland or N. Ireland).

The requirement was a result of regulations made in 2010 by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Welsh Government, as part of the implementation of the European Union Water Framework Directive. Registration was considered to provide the lightest touch approach to meet legal obligations. However, a Government review is now underway on this requirement and it will be followed by a Defra consultation on the options, details of which will be announced soon. While the review is underway, the registration of small domestic sewage discharges, including septic tanks, in England will not be required - although householders can still register if they wish.

If you would still like to register a small domestic sewage discharge/septic tank please visit

The Welsh Government has advised that septic tanks in Wales will still need to be registered by 31 December 2011. You can read more about the requirements in Wales at

Registration in England - notice from the EA

More News
Subscribe to our Newsletter Benevolent Fund Connect with us